Go home Okra It is native to Ethiopia, but this fruit has come over time to North America, where it needs a hot and humid climate for its growth, but it has become cultivated in India, Nigeria, Sudan, Pakistan, Ghana, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Mexico and Cameroon, okra is distinguished by its white seeds lined up inside its pods, in addition to the variety of cooking methods. Green pods can be fried whole or sliced and can be grilled or sauteed.
As for Nutritional value, It is characterized by its rich content of fiber and vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B1, vitamin B3, vitamin B5, and vitamin B6, in addition to antioxidants, and in this article, we will talk about how to freeze okra and explain its health benefits.
What is the benefit of protein lectin?
Must Be Identified The Benefits of Okra Before discussing the method of freezing okra, in general, 100 grams of its fresh varieties provide 33 calories, 7 grams of carbohydrate, 2 grams of protein, and 3 grams of fiber, and it all comes together reflected in the body with its health benefits including the following:
- They are a good source of antioxidants: It reduces damage caused by free radicals, the most important of which are polyphenols, such as flavonoids, microcystin, vitamin A and vitamin C. A diet rich in polyphenols will improve heart health, by reducing the risk of blood clots, and secondly, it helps protect the brain from infections.
- Reduces Heart Disease: Contains a semi-gelatinous vegetable gum that binds to cholesterol during digestion, to be excreted in the stool rather than absorbed. High cholesterol levels increase the incidence of heart disease, and on the other hand, one study found that people who followed a diet high in polyphenols had fewer inflammatory signs associated with heart disease.
- Has anticancer properties: It contains a type of protein, lectin, which inhibits the growth of cancer cells. One of the laboratory studies of breast cancer cells found that okra lectin inhibits the growth of cancer cells by up to 63%, but more research in humans is needed to ensure its effectiveness in that.
- Lowers blood sugar: Research in mice indicates that eating them or taking their extracts lowers blood sugar, but they may interfere with some medications commonly prescribed to people with diabetes.
- They are a good choice for pregnant women: Eating them helps meet the pregnant woman’s need for folate, which is necessary to reduce the incidence of birth defects, such as neural tube defects because 100 grams of that -this cover his daily needs by 15%.
How to freeze okra
How do you choose okra seeds when buying them?
When it comes to the okra freezing method, it is best to choose fresh pods to achieve the desired flavor and texture after freezing, as wilted or unripe pods will not serve the purpose. How to freeze okra:
How to freeze okra for stews or side dishes:
This method requires it to be cut horizontally if it is to be cooked as a stew, while serving it as a side dish requires cutting it in the direction of sliced length, keeping in mind that the correct cooking method does not require thawing, as the details of this okra freezing method are as follows:
- The pods are washed well in cold water, and to remove the stuck-on dirt, it is better to gently massage them.
- The ends of both ends are removed with a sharp knife, being careful to cut off the head without affecting the seed cells, as this will cause the seeds to pop out when boiling.
- The pods are classified according to their size to be boiled separately.
- Bring a saucepan filled with boiling water and place the pods in it for 3-4 minutes, depending on the size of the beans, this will retain their color, flavor, and texture.
- The pods are extracted from the boiling water, with a spoon which helps to filter them out of the water.
- Fill a bowl with ice cubes and water and put okra in it for 3-4 minutes, depending on the size of the seeds.
- Leave to dry on a cutting board or suitable tray.
- Slice the pods casually and place them on parchment paper on a suitable baking sheet.
- Put in the freezer for no more than an hour or until the pieces become hard and glazed.
- Okra is placed in freezer bags and closed after being emptied of the air.
- Write down the storage details on the bags – including this date – with an appropriate pen.
Method of freezing okra for frying:
This method requires mixing it with corn flour alone or mixed with flour and a little salt and pepper before freezing it, noting that the frying method is suitable for it requires heating the oil to a very hot degree, so that the frozen okra pieces go directly into it, and the details of the method are as follows:
- The previous steps are applied from the beginning until it is boiled and allowed to dry.
- Chop the pods casually and gently flip with the mixture – mentioned above – until it forms a thin layer on each piece.
- Arrange the parchment paper in a suitable baking sheet and place it in the freezer for no more than an hour, or until its shape becomes firm and the mixture is sticky to the pieces.
- They are placed in freezer bags and closed after being deflated.